TurtleStitch: logo & Islamic tiling pattern

  •  Islamic tiling pattern


In week 3, I enjoyed playing around with Turtlestitch and created beautiful patterns and graphic design using it. The picture I posted above is an Islamic tiling pattern I created using Turtlestitch.  It took a long time to figure out what the structure is and how to arrange the codes. This digitally-drawn pattern was created by the following steps:

1️⃣ Find a pattern. I googled a bunch of pictures of Islamic tiling designs and find one that had been analyzed step by step. It was illustrated as below.



2️⃣ Shapes in the complicated pattern are circles and squares. To be specific, there is one circle surrounded by four circles. From
inside to outside, the squares become bigger and bigger and rotate by 45 degrees each time.

3️⃣ Implement it by codes. 

Here is the videošŸ”½



  • Logo


This is a simple logo I designed using turtlestitch. I just used two letters of my given name and family name as the elements. It is just like a moving body on the stage. To create the moving effect, I try to set the X and Y variables and change the value of saturation. 

  • Reflection

Turtlestitch, I think, is more complicated compared with turtleArt, since there are way more blocks that are available for users to use. There are many new blocks that I did not come across in TurtleArt. Every time I encounter an unfamiliar one, I will use the help function to read the introduction of it. Another way that works for me is to find some examples created by other people and play around with them to compare the differences. For example, I found 



these two properties tricky to understand, so I found an
example in which the creator used these blocks and change the value to see the differences. I saw the two pictures below


The top one is the original one, and the bottom one is a new one when I assigned smaller values to the variables. In this way, I understanding, the stitchLength is associated with the length of the lines, and the directionStep is associated with the distance of one stitch and its subsequent stitch.

Thinking about an object from my childhood that interested and influenced me, I think of the MP3 player. I had it when I was in middle school. It is special to me because it was a very fancy music player at that time. And, that is the first digital device that I had. It changed the angle from which I viewed this digital world. The digital world is no longer a still and cumbersome one, otherwise, it can be a compact and mobile one.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Scratch Mini-project: Simple MP4 & Remix